FASTR will be returning with the Nichols Classic Sprint Enduro for 2016. This is the second year we have decided to dedicate this race to Bill Nichols, the man responsible for a large portion of the trails we have come to love. Be ready for a little bit of everything the Mile Markers has to offer with a few surprises to keep it fresh! Thanks to the “Arizona Sprint Enduro” format there will plenty of time between loops to recover and then charge each loop fresh.
These are the kinds of trails that make racing the Sheridan Mountain Showdown fun! Thanks for sharing Nick Gabbert!
This footage is from round 1 of the 2016 AMRA (Arizona Motorcycle Racing Association) championship in Camp wood, Az. In this video is sections 1 & 2. On board: Nick Gabbert. Bike: 2007 Kx 450F. Captured on a GoPro HD Hero 3 silver.
Yes, you are reading the 2016 AMRA MotoCity Off Road Championship Series schedule correctly! The Arizona Trail Riders “Sheridan Mountain Showdown” has a new date, new location, and a new format!
Typically known as the season finale, the Camp Wood Enduro is now kicking off the season and scheduled for September 27th, 2015. After 9 years of holding the event in the spring we decided it was time for a change in seasons. You never know what Mother Nature is going to throw at you but we’re hoping for a little wetter dirt but with temperatures about the same as in April.
The event location is still generally the same but staging has moved 6 miles closer and will be located at Camp Wood (see map on flyer). This will shorten the drive and hopefully make it easier by staying on the graded/bladed roads. The Camp Wood location has plenty of room for camping with two large areas separated by just a ¼ mile of road (FR95). There is no longer any 4×4, 2-track road to drive down either so bringing the RV should be a much easier affair.
The format of the event is also changing this year to a Qualifier format which means participants can start Test Sections whenever they are ready, at 15 second intervals. Scores will still be determined by elapsed time in the Test Sections but once you Checkout of a Test, you can take a break without having to worry about getting to the next Test on time. The staging location is also allowing us to change the course up a little which should make the race course a little easier and a lot more fun.
The Qualifier format is a favorite of many AMRA enduro racers so we hope this change, along with the new date and location will motivate everyone to attend and start off the 2016 AMRA MotoCity Off Road Championship the right way, with a good, fun, challenging race for everybody.
See you in Camp Wood,
Arizona Trail Riders
Also, the primary reason there is an OHV Sticker program is because the AZOHVC spent months working with legislators, land managers, Az State Parks, Az Motor Vehicle Dept, AZ G&F, OHV Clubs, and others to develop and implement the AZ OHV Sticker Program. It is because of the OHV Sticker Program that there is grant money for Arizona clubs and land managers to protect and develop OHV trails and areas across Arizona.
As President of ATR and AZOHVC I would urge you to take advantage of this very generous matching offer and donate. $5, $10, $20, whatever you can do would be very much appreciated. You can read more about the AZOHVC at www.azohvc.com or look for Arizona Off Highway Vehicle Coalition on Facebook.
Hope to see you in Payson!
- Paysonglo Lodge (866) 972-2496 – 1005 S Beeline Hwy, Payson, AZ
- Majestic Mountain Inn (928) 478-1230 – 602 E Hwy 260, Payson, AZ
- Holiday Inn Express Payson (877) 410-6687 – 206 S. Beeline Highway, Payson, AZ
- Days Inn & Suites (928) 474-9800 – 301-A S Beeline Hwy, Payson, AZ
- Mazatzal Hotel & Casino (928) 474-6044 – Hwy 87 Mile Marker 251, Payson, AZ
- Best Western Payson Inn (928) 474-3241 – 801 N Beeline Hwy, Payson, AZ
- Holiday Inn Express Payson (877) 865-6581 – 206 S Beeline Hwy, Payson, AZ
- Budget Inn (928) 474-2201 – 302 S Beeline Hwy, Payson, AZ
- Americas Best Value Inn (928) 474-2283 – 811 S Beeline Hwy, Payson, AZ
RV and Tent Camping Accommodations
- Oxbow Estates RV Park – www.passport-america.com – (928) 474-2042
- Payson Campground & RV Resort – www.paysoncampground.com – (928) 472-2267
- Lamplighter RV Resort – lamplighterrvresort.com – (928) 474-5048
- USFS Houston Mesa Campground – (928) 472-7658
Pre-registration for this event has closed.
We are accepting walk-ups starting Saturday morning however due to pre-order requirements for T-shirts and food, walk-up registrations maybe subject to restrictions at a reduced entry fee.
The event will be held October 24- 25, 2015 at the Elks Lodge, 1206 N Beeline Hwy, Payson Az.
Check-in and Breakfast start at 6:00am. All riders out by 8am. Riders meeting 6:30am and 7:30am.
Riders choose the route of their choice to Young for Gas and Lunch at the Community Center 11am – 2pm.
•The ‘A’ route is 148 total miles.
Gas is at mile 82. Lunch is at mile 85. The A/B route is the same to the mile 64 A/B Split. If you reach this point after Noon you must take ‘B’ route to Young.
•The ‘B’ route is 143 total miles.
Gas is at mile 78. Lunch is at mile 81. A/B same to mile 64 A/B Split.
•The ‘C’ route is 135 total miles.
Gas is at mile 76. Lunch is at mile 79.
Come to the Elks Lodge for a great buffet dinner, story telling, and some fun and games. Happy Hour starts when you get there and the buffet dinner will begin at 6:00pm. After dinner we will give away some great prizes and all participants will receive one (1) raffle ticket with dinner. Additional raffle tickets will be available.
Check-in and Breakfast start at 6:30am. All riders out by 9am. Riders meeting 7am and 8am.
•The ‘A’ route is 81 total miles. No Food or Gas.
•The ‘B’ route is 80 total miles. No Food or Gas.
•The ‘C’ route is 105 total miles. Food and Gas mile 80.
- ‘A’ routes are for experienced riders. Includes pavement, all types of un-maintained/4×4 roads, and sections of 50” trail. We do not recommend motorcycles over 650cc attempt the ‘A’ routes. Knobby tires are highly recommended.
- ‘B’ routes are for the Intermediate rider who is confident in their riding abilities on pavement as well as un-maintained and 4×4 dirt roads. We recommend the B routes for riders on 650cc and larger bikes looking for a challenge. Knobby tires are highly recommended.
- ‘C’ routes are pavement and maintained dirt roads for the Adventure Riders looking for a great scenic and fun ride. All participants who requested Roll Charts can receive them Friday evening at the Elks Lodge or during Check-In on Saturday. If you need a roll chart holder now is the time to order it. Most shops do not stock roll chart holders but they GPS track files will be sent separately to all Pre-registered participants via email PRIOR to the ride date. You are responsible for ensuring the track logs are downloaded correctly so please do this upon receipt.
All participants are responsible for their own safety and should ride defensively at all times. For Emergencies call 911. There will be Sweep riders but they can only do so much. Please come prepared. All participants should check-in at the Elks Lodge before and after each ride so we know where you are.
For assistance call any of the following cell phone numbers and we will do our best to help you.
Don Hood (602.692.9382)
Frank Staley (623.826.1092)
Pammy Grimm (602-909-7175)
Cleanup complete! On May 17th sixteen guys and gals collected 13 bags of trash along highway 74. Great job and many thanks for helping out. We had bunch of bikes and SxS headed out for a great day of enjoying last few days of cool weather. Hope everyone had a safe day. Donna Blatt took some pictures of the crew so I’m sure they will get posted. Once again thanks to all.
ATR is proud to host the 2015 Sheridan Mountain Showdown! This is the final race of the AMRA 2015 season. The race will be an enduro restart format (no timekeeping). Approximate mileage: A/AA/B: 80, C: 50. All races will be held on Sunday, April 12th, 2015 at Camp Wood (NW of Prescott). Elevation 3000’ – 6000’
AA Pro Purse $250 sponsored by AEO & EVO!
SCHEDULE: (Subject to Change)
• Saturday Registration 1pm – 6pm
• Saturday Tech Inspection 1pm – 6:30pm
• Sunday Registration 6am – 7:30am
• Sunday Tech Inspection 6am – 8am
• Sunday mandatory Riders Meeting 8:15am
• Sunday race starts at 9:01am
• Big Bike Pre-entry is $65 before Monday, April 6, 2015.
• Please save money by Pre-Entering online at www.amraracing.com.
• Big Bike Entry at the event is $75 – CASH ONLY.
• Row assignments will be emailed and available online.
• Our apologies to the AMRA Minis but our event location does not have a suitable location for Mini racing.
• NO CHECKS ACCEPTED AT EVENT, CASH ONLY
• Current AMA membership required. You must show proof of AMA membership or purchase at the event. (available at sign-up)
• AMRA membership (available at sign-up) or participating WEST CHEC series membership required (d36, d37, RMEC, Mran)
Checkout www.amraracing.com for the following:
• Info and Entry Forms.
• AMRA Divisions & Classes
• Tech Requirements
• 96db sound test
• USFS Approved Spark Arrestor
• Kill Switch
• DOT Approved Helmet
• Goggles (NO TEAR OFFS)
• Gloves and Boots
• Hydration System
• Hand Guards
• Chest Protector
• Knee/Shin/Elbow Guards
• Skid Plate and Rotor Guards
• Tool Kit and Spare Parts
Arizona State Parks, will be holding a Family Ride event in conjunction with the AMRA Kick Off Carnival in Globe, AZ, on September 27th!
AZ Parks would like to get a few interviews with families and women riders to help promote the OHV community here in Arizona!
There will be riding and other fun activities for the whole family!
$20 per rider (Only riders are asked to pay an entry fee. Spectators get in for free! Rider fee goes towards covering the cost to rent the land & facility.)
Below is the web address to the flyer for the AMRA Kick-Off Carnival that includes directions to the venue:
For more information contact Jeff at the contact info below.
OHV Program Coordinator
Arizona State Parks
THIS IS IT!
The Trail Event of the Season!!
** Knock-Down Drag-Out Hoe to Hoe Combat **
!! PEDALS vs. PISTONS !!
vs. Horseshoes vs. Hiking Boots
Be a part of the action as the Flagstaff Biking Organization (and friends) take on the Coconino Trail Riders (and friends) , the Coconino Horsemens Alliance and the Northern Arizona Trail Runners Association in a trail building duel to the death, or pizza, whichever comes first.
Work on the fantastic Kelly Canyon Project, (YES IT’s MOTORIZED).
When: Saturday, September 20, 2014 at 8:00 AM
Where: Take Lake Mary Road East approx 3 miles to Frontier go Right to FR 3E go Left to FR 3J and look for the CTR CHECKERED FLAG awning and banner.
Participants will receive a $10 Rocky Mountain ATV/MC gift card And Special Shirt ,while supplies last
What to bring and other details:
Sturdy closed-toe shoes, long pants, sunscreen, water, and head protection are required. Hardhats, gloves, tools, and trail work instructions will be provided. Children under 18 must be accompanied by a parent/guardian.
Lunch: Pizza by Fratelli Pizza (thanks!) will be served at 1:00 p.m. Hobnob with fellow trail advocates. Discuss land use issues and dirtbikes with fellow workers and new friends. Trophy presentation.
THIS TROPHY IS THE EPITOME OF AWESOMENESS. THE “PISTONS” MUST REGAIN THIS TROPHY. WE NEED YOUR ATTENDANCE. PLEASE HELP!! ANY QUESTIONS ?
CALL WARREN @ 951 326 4757 OR
JIM HALL @ 928 699 5254
ATR’s Sheridan Mountain Showdown Enduro will be on West Chec’s 2015 schedule!